Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Finger Tips

“I  am dying of thirst by the Fountain.” -unknown

In my kitchen,my hot tea and bible are keeping me company as the cold rain pounds the windows.  I try and soak up the rarity of having the apartment to myself. As the afternoon approaches, I realize what a week it has been. Too often I sit here and come to the recognition of what is truly going on in the world, and in my own life. Even when you have salvation and you have the strength of the Lord, we too often fall back into our old ways and start to thirst for the drowning that will swallow ourselves.  I realize that I am not taking advantage of what has already been given to me.  I find myself holding on by my fingertips- I am holding on, but barely.  Right as I feel as if that last finger is just about to slip away, and I find myself trying to hold myself up, I  become aware of what I am doing- I am struggling.  I find myself feeling stretched and sprawled out right in front of  exactly what I need- I find myself dying of thirst as I am right near the fountain. Yet, once I come to the realization that I am in restraint and struggling, I am set free. It is only when I stop struggling, that I  survive.  


Knowing that our old man was crucified with HIm, that the body  of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.” Romans 6:6-7


It is rather ridiculous when we really think about it. We have salvation right? We have the promise of eternal life, the promise of the Holy Spirit to help guide us and to be our Helper, and we have the promise of the Word. Yet one promise I seem to forget (and I am sure I am not the only one out there, so admit this to yourself as well) is our freedom that we obtain by our salvation.  We all struggle with something- for some it is a bit more evident in their lives then others- but we all have something. We all have a flesh, a sin nature.  Yet, as people who have salvation, that old man is no longer draggin behind us. Our old slef dies when Christ bore our sins and was crucified. We no longer have to be in the bondage of that. When we bear the name of Christ and choose to have Him abiding in us, we must realize that He died once and for all.  Not “once-and-for-all”, but rather “one time and for all sin.”  

When I accepted the gift, and I made the choice to receive salvation, I was freed! I no longer had to deal with the bondage and sin that kept me back before. So why do I let it get me now? Why, when I  have the promise of the Word, do I let the enemy get to me- letting my thoughts and my mind think I have to do anything.  All I must do, is let go, come to fountain, and jump in. All I need to do- is take part in what I already have- and that is liberty in Christ.


“For when there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.  For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.” Hebrews 9:16-17


Daily I have to ask myself...


AM I DEAD? 

No comments:

Post a Comment