Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Forgotten God

Currently I am reading the new book by Francis Chan called "Forgotten God" and ultimately the only adjective I can think of to describe it is mind blowing. Most would read the title of the book and question what he is talking about, but to have it spelled out and broken down to be brought to your face- that yes, the church and the Christian body as a whole has forgotten our God. We have forgotten the most powerful tool and essence of our God: the Holy Spirit.

  When I pick up the book, I always pick up the high lighter to go with it. I think the book is bathed in neon pink and yellow. Last nights reading was no different.

"I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through. That if He doesn't come through, I am screwed..."

  What a challenge: to not have the markings of you on your own life. To have the complete earnest desire to see the Holy Spirit working in you and nothing of yourself. To take a step back from your own steps and see if you notice that the only reason life is going the way it is, is because your hand prints are not on it. 

"I deeply desire that the Spirit of God would do things that I know are not of me and that cannot be faked or accounted for by human reason."


1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. I want to borrow that when you are finished...

    ReplyDelete