Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today


“God’s perfect will”

What does that even mean?

If we are at all honest with ourselves, we are constantly wondering if this is it. How do we know we are there? Sure, we get glimpses of that feeling or peace and we think, “so this is what it feels like to be at complete peace with your life?”  Yet majority of the time, we question…constantly.

I have come to realize, in my (short) almost 23 years, that it is a day-to-day act of surrender. Sure we want the whole picture, we want to know that at this point in life you will be here and at this age this will happen. But what kind of faith does it take if we have knowledge? It is faith in the unknown that causes us truly surrender.

What I have to recognize is today is today. Am I being faithful in will of God today? Tomorrow, next week and the following 50 years are all unknown to me, and as the doors open, I pray I have the faith to walk through. Personally, my frustration doesn’t even come from being scared or apprehensive.  It’s not that I won’t walk through an open door, it’s that there is no door!

The last thing I want to do is to have God bless my plans. To push my way through or into something and then tell God to smile upon what I am doing and tell Him to bless it. Who do I think I am and why would I want to be in control? Lord, stop me if my fingerprints are on anything.


As much as I would love to see step 2, 3 and all the way to the end, step 1 is the most important: the faith to get off the couch. The faith of obedience in what is in front of me today.

So today, I am going to be faithful at my job, be faithful to the people that I meet and talk to, be diligent in prayer and in His Word. 

“Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them…for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.” 1 timothy 4

1 comment:

  1. I was battling those same thoughts this week. I want to be in his will and I want to know what my future holds. But you are correct, that is not faith. We must live each day and be faithful in what he gives you in that each day.

    Psalms 18:35 You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great.

    Thank you for sharing! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete