Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Arson

Taken from a fantastic post by Matt Connor.

"... the only thing that both Thomas and I knew to tell people was to pursue what was inside of them with the utmost excellence and discipline — to move beyond their fears and put something, anything, out there. The only way to start a creative community is to first be a creative community of one.

There’s a quote about this that I’ve read attributed to both John Wesley and Charles Spurgeon over the years (thanks to Google). Perhaps it’s Roseanne Barr. These things are impossible to tell in the Internet age. That said, it doesn’t change the meaning of the quote: Set yourself on fire and people will come to watch you burn.

I could not be more proud of the church community that I’ve pastored over the last 8 years in the Indianapolis area. The Mercy House has been a haven for the most unlikely people creating the most unlikely organizations, ministries, artwork, and more and we’re often asked about the origin of the mess we call our community. “How did you do this?” My answer is easy. I point to the people who set themselves on fire."

Rabbit Room

No comments:

Post a Comment